Cosmetic surgery tourism
Cosmetic surgery tourism, also popularly known as cosmetic surgery medical tourism, or medical tourism cosmetic surgery, is the phenomenon where people seek cosmetic surgery abroad and combine it with a vacation. There has been a great rise in cosmetic surgery medical tourism in the last couple of decades, thanks to the great rise in internet penetration across the world and thus easy availability of information, ease of air travel, communication, and increase in disposable income of people.
India is one of the most popular destinations for people seeking plastic surgery abroad because of many advantages that the country offers. Highly skilled cosmetic surgeons, low cost of plastic surgery in India, no waiting time, no language barrier, India a great tourist destination are few of the most important reasons, why cosmetic surgery tourism to India is so popular.
Though the trend of cosmetic surgery abroad is increasing rapidly, it comes with its own merits and demerits and risks. It is very important to be aware of certain facts before you opt for cosmetic surgery abroad or you embark on your journey for cosmetic surgery tourism.
Here is a list of most frequently asked questions by our clients. Since cosmetic surgery can be life-changing one, we highlight all the aspects of the cosmetic surgery abroad to help you make an informed decision. These questions include most of the questions you may have in mind when you seek cosmetic surgery medical tourism. We would be happy to answer if you have any more questions.
Ask yourself a few questions and begin searching for the answers. Our experience tells us that you automatically prepare yourself while answering the questions.
- Why do I need cosmetic surgery?
- What are my motivations to undergo the cosmetic plastic surgery procedure?
- What is the best plastic surgery procedure for me?
- Do I have realistic expectations from the results of the plastic surgery? Am I seeking perfection?
- Will the cosmetic surgery achieve my reasonable goals?
- What is the best time/ age to get this cosmetic plastic surgery procedure done?
- What aspects of my life will be affected - family, work, travel and social obligations if I undergo plastic surgery abroad?
- How much would be the savings?
- What are the pros and cons if I undergo cosmetic surgery abroad and in my own country?
- Surgeon's credentials- his qualification. Is he specialized to perform cosmetic surgery? Is he a board certified or equivalent cosmetic surgeon?
- How many years of experience does the cosmetic surgeon has?
- What associations or memberships does he hold?
- How many similar procedures has he performed?
- Check before after pictures of the patients he has operated upon
- Ask for references
- Speak with the cosmetic surgeon to get a better idea about the surgeon
- Am I a good candidate for cosmetic plastic surgery procedure I am planning to undergo?
- Will the plastic cosmetic surgery procedure address all my concerns?
- What are the risks associated with the procedure?
- Where the incisions would be made? How visible would be the scars?
- How long would the procedure take? What is the recovery time?
- How long would I stay at the hospital? How long would you need to stay in India in all before you can go back?
- Where will the procedure be performed- in a clinic or a hospital with adequate back up?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- How much pain or discomfort can I expect after the cosmetic plastic surgery?
- When can I resume my routine activities?
- When can I go back to work?
- When can I begin my exercise schedule?
- What precautions do I need to take after the plastic surgery?
- What can be the possible side effects of the procedure?
- When would I be able to see the final results?
- Will it inhibit any future activities?
- What is the total cost? Are there any hidden charges?
- How long would the results of the surgery last?
It makes more sense to combine procedures if you are seeking cosmetic surgery abroad because you can save a lot of money and get maximum transformation or best results in one go by combining plastic surgery procedures. That is the reason, more than 90% of our clients choose to get multiple procedures in one go. It is normally the cosmetic surgeon who determines how many surgeries you can have at one time based on your age, what procedures and how many of them you wish to combine, health and medical history. Only after he is sure that it is safe for you to undergo multiple procedures without compromising your health or outcomes, he advises to do it.
Our affiliated hospitals in India have the best infrastructure and have cutting edge technology and thus provide safe environment for multiple procedures. You can be rest assured that you are in safe hands and no unnecessary risks are ever taken.
There are various qualified and experienced plastic surgeons in India specializing and experienced in performing different types of cosmetic/plastic surgery procedures. We have our advisors and specialists who look into the work and other important details about the surgeon before we recommend them to you for your cosmetic surgery in India. Your case managers would advise you the best plastic surgeon in India for your procedure after we have received your details.
As mentioned above, different cosmetic surgeons specialize in different types of surgery, some are trained to perform facial procedures, while other specialize in body lifts or breast etc. Your case manager would send you the list of best plastic surgeons in India according to your unique requirements.
We shall share with you the detailed profile of the surgeon, his experience, his success rate and even the contact details of the previous patients he has operated upon. We shall also send you the before after pictures of his past work. You can also choose to have a telephonic or a video conference with the surgeon to have a face to face consultation with him/her. We shall help you with all the specific information you may need to help you make an informed decision about the best plastic surgeon in India according to your unique requirements.
Yes, almost all our cosmetic surgery patients undergo thorough pre-anesthesia check up before the surgery. This includes:
- Blood tests to evaluate chemistries, blood count and blood type
- Chest X-ray, Lung function test, ECG etc.
You will experience some pain and discomfort after the operation which shall be controlled with medications. You shall be at the hospital for minimum 24 hours so that the acute recovery phase is over and you are comfortable and can be on your own at the time of discharge from the hospital.
You will not need nursing care after you are discharged from the hospital. Your case manager would advise you the number of days that you need to stay at the hospital under medical supervision according your procedure and medical condition. This would be good enough for your initial recovery and stay at the hotel without the nursing care. However, if your treating doctor feels that you still need medical supervision, he would advise you to extend the stay at the hospital at some extra cost.
Your case manager would advise you the number of days that you would need to stay in India according to your level of surgery and how many procedures you are undergoing. As a thumb rule, 10 days stay for almost all procedures for plastic surgery in India are required.
You can choose to stay at a hotel/guest house close to the hospital. We have specially negotiated rates with these hotels/guest houses. There are different packages for you to choose from. You can opt to have an all inclusive package which includes your accommodation after discharge or just the surgical package. Your case manager would guide you about this.
Yes, IndiCure shall arrange for your airport transfers and all inland transfers including your follow-up consultation with the surgeon after the surgery.
- You will be in the hospital for a minimum of 24 hours post the operation (for most of in-patient surgeries) and this may be extended depending on the procedure performed.
- We will transfer you to a recuperation accommodation facility, which on your choice can be a serviced apartment with full facilities in a truly home environment, or a star rated hotel of your choice.
- We call or visit you daily during your stay ensuring that all your personal and post-operative needs are addressed.
- We will transfer you for your post-operative consultations with the surgeon.
We endeavour to make your stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. There are plenty of options, from simple in-room movies and magazines, to tours and activities when you are feeling better.
IndiCure is always a call or an e-mail away from you for any communication. With our access to medical and support facilities, we will try to mobilize required resources/facilities to alleviate your concerns to the best of our abilities. Thus, we vow to be your 'professional friend' as well, in a city away from home.
- We encourage you to ask as many questions, identify the risks involved with the procedures, and make an informed choice thereafter.
- We ensure that patients are kept in hospitals for minimum of 24 hours post the operation (for most of in-patient surgeries), as 24 hours is the time when medical complications can occur.
- We require you to stay in the city of surgery for a minimum period as suggested by the surgeon ensuring that you have adequate postoperative consultation with the surgeon.
- We are utmost selective in choosing our partner surgeons and medical facilities so as to make sure that chances of complications are minimized in the first place.
There is no need to worry about travelling alone when you are coming with IndiCure. We have access to the right people, so can arrange and organise things at quick notice to sort out any problems.
We strongly advise you to stop smoking at least 4 weeks before and after the surgery. Smoking interferes with recovery and increases the risk of complications after the surgery. It can result in delayed wound healing or non healing scars. People looking for body lift and face lift should completely stop smoking before and after the surgery.