At the behest of his father, Dr Pratap C Reddy left his flourishing practice in Boston and came to India. On realizing the gap between demand for quality healthcare and its supply, Dr Pratap C Reddy started the first Apollo hospital in India in Chennai. From 1983 to now, Apollo Healthcare has become the largest and most important name in the healthcare landscape of India.
Apollo Healthcare group is much beyond just Hospitals. The group includes a large spectrum of healthcare services such as Diagnostic clinics, Primary care centres, Hospitals and Pharmacies. Besides these, Apollo has also made great strides in Health Insurance, Healthcare Management and Consulting which includes Greenfield and Turnkey projects, Medical education in Nursing and Healthcare management and research foundation.
Apollo Hospitals constitute the largest and most important vertical of the group. 64 hospitals, 10,000 plus beds make Apollo Hospitals the largest healthcare provider in Asia. Apollo Hospitals have consistently ranked as not only the best hospitals in India but among the top medical institutions in the world. Apollo Hospitals have treated more than 50 million patients till from across the world.
Apollo has many firsts to its credit. The First hospital to acquire International Quality accreditation- JCI (Joints Commission International), considered to be the highest accreditation for healthcare institutes globally.
Apollo Hospitals have been pioneers in bringing and introducing technology to healthcare institutions in India.PET CT, Protin Beam Therapy, Novalis are few of the technologies that Apollo brought into India. Apollo is among the first few healthcare institutions in the world to facilitate seamless healthcare delivery using technology like electronic records and hospital information system (HIS). Besides, the use of technology has helped the group deliver the best outcomes even in the most complex cases.
- Apollo Hospitals is one of 6 centres on global trial for drug-eluting bio-resorb able stents.
- 8 JCI accredited hospitals
- 11 NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals) accredited hospitals
- 25 World Class Heart Institutes
- 10,000 Neurosurgeries performed per year
Apollo Hospitals have been pioneer in bringing the most advanced technology to India and have many "Firsts" to its credit.
Following are few of the highlights about Technology at Apollo and the "Firsts" by Apollo
Apollo Hospitals has always been a pioneer in introducing the state of the art and the latest technology in India. Apollo Hospitals brought the following technology to India:
- PET-MRI Suite
- 320 Slice CT- Angio scan system
- 16 Slice PET-CT Scan
- 128 Slice Ingenuity PET CT- Positron Emission Tomography
- Largest and most sophisticated sleep laboratory in the world
- Novalis Tx™ Radiotherapy and Radiosurgery
- Most advanced CyberKnife® Robotic Radio Surgery System in Asia Pacific
- BioMerieux's MALDI-TOF-VITEK ® MS system - a rapidly automated microbial identification system that identifies disease-causing microorganisms such as bacteria and fungi
- Echosens Fibroscan for conducting non-invasive liver scan
- Full Field Digital Mammography with Tomosynthesis (3D) system
- G (Gravity) Scan - an open standing MRI scanner
- The da Vinci® Surgical System,
- The Renaissance™ Robotic Surgical System for Spine surgery
- MRI guided HIFU
- The first hospital in Asia to perform en-bloc combined heart & liver transplant
- Successful treatment of critically ill eleven day old baby with a complex and rare cardiac surgery - a first of its kind in India
- First ever abdominal wall transplant in South India
- First in Asia to offer Robotic Spine Surgery, Knee Replacement, Hip Replacement and Hip Arthroscopy
- Presbyopia implant for the first time in South India.
- India's first Cellvizio System launched by Apollo
- ISO 22000 - HACCP certification by the British Standards Institution to Apollo Chennai, South India's first hospital to achieve this honour.
- Robotic surgery on 10 year old to fix a collapsed vertebra- first of its kind in the world
- Fisrt hospital in India to introduce 3rd generation spinal implants, Lumbar disc replacement and Resorbable screws to correct congenital spine problems
- First simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas transplant in South India
- First in India and South East Asia to successfully separate male Pygopagus twins.
- First to perform coronary angioplasty using absorb-BVS
- First Cord blood transplant in India for treating leukemia
- First ECMO (Extracorporeal membrane Oxygenation) Procedure in India
- First Ipod Navigation Hip Resurfacing surgery
- World's first Scarless endoscopic revision gastroplasty for failed bariatric surgery
- World's first Single Incision Revision Bariatric Surgery and India's first Single Incision Gastric Bypass
- First Hospital in India to perform Robotic Gastric Bypass & Sleeve gastrectomy.
- First to intoduce the Latest M guard stent technology which saved a 27 year old from acute heart attack.
- First-of-it's-kind in South Asia - Full Field Digital Mammography with Tomosynthesis (3D)
- First American to get a Successful Heart Transplant
- The first bilateral OrthoGlide knee surgery in India.
- The first navigation surgery in India for maxillofacial surgery/trauma
- The first hospital in the country to get the latest 3D mapping technology in arrhythmia management.
- First in the country to introduce Shape Metal Alloys to treat Scoliosis
- The first in India to perform Heart Trasplant and Emergency Heart Trasplant
- Second in the world and first in India to perform combine heart, lung and kidney transplant
- First double lung transplant in India
- First OCT (Optical Coherence Tomogram) in the country for assessment of chronic rejection in a patient who is over 4 years post transplant. This technique is just evolving in the west.
Apollo Group of Hospitals In India
With over 64 hospitals in various cities, Apollo has a big presence in India. The most famous and largest Apollo hospitals are in metros of India- Delhi, Chennai. Mumbai and Bangalore.
Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road Chennai is the flagship hospital of the Apollo Group. It was established in 1983 by Dr Pratap C Reddy. The hospital has over 60 departments run by few of the most renowned doctors in India. The hospital is a JCI accredited facility.
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi is a state of the art multi-specialty tertiary-care hospital situated in the most posh area of South Delhi. Considered to be the flagship hospitals of Apollo group, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital is one of the important landmarks not only in Delhi, but in the world map because of its popularity among the medical tourists.
Apollo Hospital Bangalore, is a tertiary care multi-specialty flagship unit of the Apollo Hospitals Group. The hospital started its operations in 2007 and offers cutting edge technology and state of the art facilities. Accredited by JCI (Joint Commission International), USA; the gold standard in health care accreditation, Apollo Bangalore boasts of an excellent team of more than 100 medical consultants.
Apollo Hospital, Mumbai is the latest addition to Apollo Hospitals group. The hospital started its operation in 2016. It is a 500 bedded multi-specialty tertiary care hospital with state of the art facilities.
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad is one of the most renowned healthcare institutions not only in India, but the whole world. The hospital has evolved to be one of its kinds of institution, the first health city in Asia and a perfect example of an integrated healthcare system offering solutions across the healthcare space.