Does Not Include
The cost quoted above is indicative and should not be taken as the final cost of the surgery. The final cost can be ascertained after the surgeon has evaluated the patient. The cost in Indian Rupees can vary based on exchange rate.
ACL Reconstruction Cost in India starts from US $ 3500 and varies depending on your medical condition, comorbidities-if any, surgeon, facility and the city where you choose to get the surgery done.
Factors that affect ACL Reconstruction surgery cost in India:
Orthopedic Surgeon’s Fees
An important expense when it comes to your ACL Reconstruction cost in India is going to be your orthopedic surgeon’s fees. IndiCure recommends experienced, skilled, board-certified surgeons who are capable of delivering successful orthopedic surgeries. Although, the charges may vary depending on the experience of the surgeon, you can be assured that you are in safe and skilled hands when you choose orthopedic surgery in India with IndiCure.
Type of Surgical Approach
A significant portion of the overall cost of the surgery arises from the use of any customized surgical instruments or specialized computer technology. With the hopes of improving patient care, new techniques and technologies are often introduced to the surgical process. Such innovative advancements in the surgical approach can increase costs.
Having your ACL reconstruction in an accredited surgical facility by skilled and qualified medical staff is a critical factor. Moreover, the geographical location of this facility also affects the quote. But, IndiCure provides you with a projected estimate that will be affordable and all inclusive.
The surgery-related expenses include the pre- and post-surgical expenses. The pre-surgical expenses are associated with the candidacy and the medical history of the patient. This also includes the routine medical exams and tests to ensure you’re a good fit for the surgery. Post-surgical expenses can include prescription medications, physical therapy, rehabilitation stay, and follow-up consultations.
We at IndiCure, understand that you travel with a budget in mind and do not like to be greeted by surprises after arrival in India. We thus club all these expenses and give you the package cost that is inclusive and affordable at the same time.
Your case manager shall give you an estimated cost of your surgery after discussing your medical reports with the surgeon. The final cost, however, shall be confirmed after your consultation with the surgeon.
Making Medical Travel to India Affordable & Hasslefree for 10+ Years
Our services are FREE for our patients.
In fact, we have Special Negotiated Rates with the Hospitals and you can avail Discounted Rates when you choose to Travel with IndiCure.
We Help you Choose the Right Treatment, Surgeon & Hospital
We Arrange Video/Telephonic Consultation with the Surgeon
We Assist you with Visa & Accommodation
We Receive you at the Airport
We Assist you at Hospital & Provide Post Operative Support
Best Orthopedic Surgeons in India
Dr. IPS Oberoi
Dr. I P S Oberoi is an expert in Primary and Revision Joint replacement surgeries of Knee, Hip, Shoulder, Elbow, and Ankle joints. Dr. IPS Oberoi has performed over 7200 joint replacements, with a success rate of 97 percent. He is one of only a few doctors qualified to perform arthroscopic surgery on a labral tear in the hip.
Dr. Mudit Khanna
Dr. Mudit Khanna is a Mumbai-based orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthroplasty and arthroscopy. Dr. Mudit Khanna is a renowned name in the field of Joint Replacements and advanced Orthopaedic Surgery. His illustrious career has been dotted with expertise acquired over a decade, working in institutes of National and International repute with Stalwarts like Professor David Rowley, Dr. Andrew Waterfield, and Dr. Ben Clift.
Dr. Yash Gulati
Dr. Yash Gulati was the first to introduce the concept of gyroscope-based computer navigation for knee replacement in India. He is the youngest orthopedic surgeon to receive the civilian accolade, having been awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India in 2009, and appointed Hon. Surgeon to President of India -2016.
Best Orthopedic Hospitals in India
Wockhardt Hospitals is the branch of the leading Wockhardt pharmaceutical company in India. The company is more than four decades old and is present in more than 20 countries around the globe. Wockhardt has 9 hospitals in India in Mumbai, Nagpur, Rajkot, Nashik, and Surat.
Artemis Health Institute, a premium multi-specialty hospital is a healthcare venture launched by the promoters of the Apollo Tyres Group. Established in 2007, Artemis was the first hospital in Haryana to get NABH accreditation within 3 years of start-up.
See How It Works
What is ACL Reconstruction ?
ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) is the strong band of tissue connecting the femur (thigh bone) to the tibia (lower leg bone) passing diagonally through deep inside the knee joint. It is meant to bring stability at the knee that helps to control the to and from and side to side motion at the knee joint.
ACL reconstruction is an arthroscopic surgery to rebuild the torn ACL ligament using the grafts that are harvested from the tendon stationed at some other part of the knee.
ACL surgery is indicated in ligament injury that occurs most frequently with the sudden over extension or twisting movement at the knee joint as a result of mostly combative sports like soccer, basketball, football etc.
The main purpose of ACL reconstruction surgery is to restore the knee stability and function of the injured ligament.
Causes of ACL Tear:
The ACL tear, being the indication for the ACL reconstruction, occurs due to both contact and non contact mechanisms.
- Contact Mechanism
- Falling down on an extended knee.
- Playing with feet planted on the ground and getting hit/blow on the lateral side of the knee.
- Noncontact Mechanism
- Twisting suddenly or changing directions quickly with feet planted on ground.
- Stopping suddenly with legs over extended or slightly bent.
- Improper landing after jumping from extreme height.
- Missing a step while climbing or descending the staircase.
ACL injury/tear can be managed by either of the following options:
- Nonsurgical Options:
- Conservative Management: Acute sprains or partial ligament tears can be managed conservatively with the appropriate rest and protection to the joint with limited mobility.
- Rehabilitation Program: This is to regain normal range of motion, strengthening your muscles to support and stabilize the joint during your daily living activities.
- Protective Bracing: Use of custom fitted knee braces to decrease the stress on healing ligaments.
- Surgical Options: ACL tear can be treated surgically with two different techniques that includes:
- Surgical Repair of ACL: It is a rare choice of surgery which is accomplished by reposing and suturing the torn ligament. This technique is indicated only when the ligament is torn off from its attachment but still intact and is not stretched out or when there is an avulsion. The repair of ACL is less recommended due to less desirable outcomes and possibility of recurrent ligament injury.
- Reconstruction Surgery: ACL reconstruction is the primary choice and the leading aid of surgically managed ACL injuries. It is performed arthroscopically or endoscopically causing less tissue destruction and faster recovery. During ACL reconstruction, a tissue graft is used to replicate the function of injured ligament thereby stabilizing the knee.
The tendon graft can be harvested from two different tissue that includes:
- Patella tendon graft: If patella tendon graft is selected, the small graft is taken along with the small bone plugs attached at each end from in front of the patient’s knee, allowing the graft to fix very rapidly with bone.
- Hamstring tendon graft: It is the most popular and highly successful method. The semitendinosus-gracilis tendon graft is harvested from the insertion of the muscle. It has an advantage of less donor site discomfort than patellar tendon graft.
When is ACL Reconstruction required ?
If your knee has got injured due to participation in high impact activities or if there is a disabling knee instability with the frequent episodes of knee giving away or buckling while walking, and if there is no relief in symptoms despite a course of conservative management, you can be considered as a good candidate for ACL reconstruction surgery.
How is ACL Reconstruction done?
The surgery is performed in a well equipped operation theater under general anesthesia and takes about 2-3 hours.
The procedure is done under general anesthesia. The graft is selected and harvested from either patella or hamstrings tendon through a small 4 cm incision over the top of the shin bone or at the back of the knee. This is followed by the preparation of the graft and resizing it appropriately for implantation.
Arthroscopic evaluation is then performed by the surgeon by making 2-3 small incisions around the knee. After the full evaluation, the arthroscope is re-inserted and the damaged ACL is removed to implicate a new graft. Using the special instruments, two bone tunnels are drilled, one in femur and other in tibia and then the graft is introduced into the knee through those tunnels and secured at both ends by the means of bio-absorbable screws.
After the fixation, the knee is moved through the range of motion to check for the integrity and appropriate tension on the graft. After confirming, the incisions are closed and compression dressing is placed on the knee and the leg is then placed in the knee immobilizer for protection.
What is the Recovery after ACL Reconstruction like?
The recovery after the ACL tear surgery is quite quick. Patients can move around with partial weight bearing using crutches which are discontinued after 2 weeks until the knee muscles are strengthened enough to support the limb. Outdoor activities are allowed after 3 months and one can expect return to more rigorous activities like sports only after 6 months of the aggressive rehabilitation program following the surgery.
What Results Can I Expect from ACL Reconstruction?
Since ACL repair is a minimally invasive surgery, it results in quick recovery and faster return to functional activities. One can expect to return to the functional level within 3 months with aggressive rehabilitation. However, returning to sports activities might take 6 months.
Questions to Ask
We at IndiCure completely understand your concerns and it is always our endeavor to provide the best outcome for every patient. Following is the list of questions you must ask before you embark on your journey for ACL Reconstruction in India.
- Is it time for a ACL Reconstruction?
- Is the orthopedic surgeon board certified?
- How experienced is the Surgeon?
- Which language does the surgeon speak?
- Is the surgery done in a well-equipped facility?
- Can you give me any information on outcomes and complication rates?
- How much pain can I expect, and how will it be managed in the hospital and after I go home?
- Is physical therapy necessary after surgery?
- What about the risks involved?
- Does the surgeon use a certified anesthetist?
- How long will the recovery period be?
Preparation for the Surgery
Prepare to answer questions about your:
- Medical history and exams
- Urinary evaluations
- Previous surgeries
- Current medication review
- History of smoking, drugs, or alcohol
- Surgical expectations
- Social Planning
- Home Planning
Having been home a few days now I can get my thoughts together and give my heartfelt thanks for the support and encouragement I got from IndiCure. Obviously, there was a certain amount of trepidation going to what has a reputation of being a third world country for a major operation like knee replacement, having received the type of treatment which I would think only the Royal family would receive in this country I wonder which is the third world country. From the organization arranged by your good self to absolutely first-class attention at the hospital and the service of doctors and his wonderful team all of whom spoke English, the nursing was one to one and my well-being was their only concern.
The operation has been a complete success. I am so happy with the results. The friendliness from everyone from consultant to ancillary workers was amazing.
Procedure: Bilateral knee joint replacement
My Knee joint replacement surgery in India has given me a second chance to live life independently and on my own terms. I had become completely dependent and bed ridden because of the extreme pain and found it even difficult to go to the wash room.
IndiCure has really helped me in this journey and I am very thankful to them. The surgeon and nursing staff especially were very nice. Good work done.
Procedure: Knee joint replacement surgery
I am extremely delighted with the services provided by IndiCure. They have arranged everything so meticulously and have been there to guide and help me at each step.
Procedure: ACL Repair surgery
I am so thankful to IndiCure and their associate clinic for giving me my healthy life back. I had such bad back pain and pain in the left leg which had made my life miserable. My business was getting hampered; my life was so disturbed because of this pain all the time.
Thanks to IndiCure and the entire staff, they are very professional and at the same time caring in their approach. I am completely satisfied with the results of my spine surgery in India.
Procedure: Lumbar spondylosis (L4-L5) with pain to radiating to left leg
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of ACL reconstruction in India ranges from USD 3500 to USD 4500. The cost may vary depending on a variety of criteria such as the hospital the patient chooses, the number of days spent in and out of the hospital, surgeon- his seniority and expertise and the city where the patient chooses to get the surgery done.
The most common ligament injury of the knee seen in athletes occurs primarily during sports or other high-intensity physical activities that put pressure on the knee, or as a result of direct injury to the knee, jumping and landing incorrectly, suddenly slowing down and changing direction of movement at the same time.
- Not all ACL tears necessitate surgery, but some do. You would need a surgery in case:
- You’ve torn your ACL completely
- If you are a sportsperson and your job requires you to have strong knees, you may have also harmed other components of your knee.
- You’ve already tried physiotherapy and rehab, but the pain and joint stability hasn’t improved much.
No, it’s not a risky procedure. However like other surgical procedures, ACL reconstruction also carry some risks problems such as: Infections, blood clotting in the legs, damage to other vessels, nerves during surgery, in some patients, screws may cause problem and require removal, in some they may be a problem in graft tendon
There are numerous aspects that go into a successful ACL surgery, but the most important ones are graft selection, graft placement in the bone tunnel, and graft fixation, as well as postoperative therapy.
It usually takes 8-12 months of physical therapy and rehabilitation to fully recover and return to sports.
Yes, by practicing core muscle strengthening exercises and using suitable sports equipment to prevent sports injuries and enhance leaping and landing techniques.
Add More to Your Medical trip