Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the average cost of orthopedic surgery in India?
Orthopedic surgery cost in India depends upon the type of surgery to be performed, whether or not implant being used, surgeon, facility and the city where you choose to get the surgery done. To give you an idea, knee replacement cost in India start from around USD 4000 and hip replacement in India costs from US $ 5000, which is way less than the cost of orthopedic surgery in the West.
2. Why is the cost of orthopedic surgery in India so less?Would I be compromising on the quality for low cost?
There is absolutely no compromise on the quality. Orthopedic surgery cost in India is much less because of the following reasons:
Low cost of endowment in India - Qualified doctors, surgeons, nursing staff, lower investments costs, subsidies by government to private healthcare sector are more as compared to other countries
An exchange rate regime, which is favorable to India (indicative rates only, may not be currently applicable)
1 USD= 75 Indian rupees
1 GBP= 100 Indian rupees
1 Euro= 85 Indian rupees
3. I want to get my orthopedic surgery in India. Where do I begin from?
The first step is to send us your medical history, X-ray and other medical reports for the surgeon's evaluation. You can send these details to firstname.lastname@example.org. You would be assigned a case manager who shall get back to you with the surgeon's opinion, cost and other necessary details. For more information, please visit Step-by-step guide.
4. How do I ensure good quality services and results for my orthopedic surgery in India?
Your case manager would share the surgeon's opinion as is, his or her detailed profile, details about the hospital where your surgery shall be done, type of implant and other necessary details. You can also choose to speak with the surgeon over phone or have a video consultation with the surgeon. We make sure you get the best quality treatment and best possible results for your surgery in India. To answer more on Medical Tourism related questions read our FAQs sections.
5. Would you do tests on me before my orthopedic surgery in India?
Yes, almost all orthopedic surgery patients undergo the necessary investigations before any orthopedic surgery. Other tests are also performed before any anesthesia is given. This includes:
- Blood tests to evaluate chemistries, blood count and blood type.
- Chest X-ray to evaluate lungs and heart size.
6. Would I have severe pain after the operation?
You will experience pain and discomfort after the operation which shall be controlled with medications. You shall be at the hospital for 3-7 days, depending on the type and technique of the surgery, so that the acute recovery phase is over and you are comfortable and can be on your own at the time of discharge from the hospital.
7. Which type of surgery is most suited for me?
The surgeon would suggest you the most suitable option depending on your age, pain, medical history and the medical condition.
8. What will happen after I leave the hospital following orthopedic surgery in India? Will there be any nurses at the hotel to take care?
You will not need nursing care after you are discharged from the hospital. A stay of 5-6 days at the hospital would be enough for you to recover and stay at the hotel without the nursing care. However, if your treating doctor feels that you still need medical supervision, he would advise you to extend the stay at the hospital at some extra cost.
9. When can I return to work following orthopedic surgery in India?
Returning to work is an individualistic thing and depends on your profession. Desk or sitting activities can be resumed after about 2-3 weeks of surgery, while physically active jobs should wait for 8-10 weeks.
10. Would I need to follow some instructions or take extra precautions after orthopedic surgery?
You need to be very careful in using your body to allow for your orthopedic to heal well. You should not push, pull or lift anything heavy for at least two months after the surgery. Your surgeon and the medical staff shall give you specific instructions about do's and don'ts after the surgery. The physical therapist will tell you how to strengthen the muscles.
11. Can I climb stairs after my operation?
Yes, you can climb stairs but that would be tiring for you. You should avoid climbing the stairs for 6-8 weeks till you have fully recovered
12. What about rehabilitation after orthopedic surgery in India? How long do I need to see a physical therapist after I go back?
The rehabilitation will begin the next day after the surgery at the hospital itself. Your physical therapist will do a number of exercises to regain your strength and range of motion. You should continue to exercise until your muscles are pain-free. It is a good idea to continue your exercises as a lifetime commitment to keep your muscles strong.