Frequently Asked Questions
1. How serious is spinal fusion surgery?
Spinal fusion surgery is a serious surgery and is done by a well qualified orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon. Because the surgery is extensive, the surgeons frequently bring a complete surgical team with them.
2. How successful is spinal fusion surgery?
Spinal fusion has a 70 to 90% success rate, depending on the problem it is addressing.
3. Is spinal fusion surgery worth it?
In most cases, spinal fusion is an efficient way to treat fractures, abnormalities, or instability in the spine.
4. What happens if you bend after spinal fusion?
If at all possible, avoid bending following lumbar fusion because doing so might hinder the healing process and potentially undo the work that has already been done.
5. How much mobility is lost when the spine is fused?
Less than 25% of the spine's overall mobility would be lost, even in rare situations where three or four levels of the spine are fused; nonetheless, this would not have an impact on a person's ability to carry out the majority of daily chores.
6. What are the risks associated with spinal fusion surgery?
There aren't many risks and side effects specific to a spinal fusion procedure, however the following are worth addressing.
- Limited Movement - A spinal fusion procedure may be able to increase your mobility in some cases where pain is severely restricting it. Other times, a part of your spine loses flexibility because two vertebral pieces are joining together. Most people are willing to give up some of their spine's flexibility if it means they will experience minimal or no pain.
- Complications - As with any procedure, there is a chance for problems, such as bleeding, nerve injury, or problems with the anesthetic. The surgical problems are closely monitored and limited by surgeons.
- Persistent Pain - Your pain may not completely go after spinal fusion. The operation may assist people with scoliosis or similar spinal curvature issues to prevent further curving, but it might not be able to relieve all of your pain. You could have some pain and discomfort even after spinal fusion.
7. Is there any alternative to spinal fusion surgery?
There are many ayurveda treatments available in India which have successfully treated people with spinal problems. You can share your reports with us and we shall get them evaluated by expert Ayurveda doctors to advise if ayurveda treatment is a good option for your spinal problem.
8. Are there any permanent restrictions after spinal fusion?
After spinal fusion surgery, most patients have no activity limitations by 6 to 8 months.