Hip replacement in India
Hip replacement in India at low cost with international standard of care and quality is made possible by medical tourism companies like IndiCure. We have on our panel best hospitals for hip replacement surgery in India equipped with the latest medical technology.
Total Hip Replacement surgery involves replacing the hip joint that has been damaged or worn away by arthritis or injury with artificial hip parts or implants called prosthesis. The prosthesis substitutes for the hip joint allowing smooth and frictionless movement. The goal of total hip replacement surgery is to relieve pain and increase the mobility and function of a damaged hip joint.
Total Hip Replacement is also advised as the golden standard for hip arthritis in patients older than 65 years and with patients with advanced hip destruction or altered anatomy of the hip.
Hip replacement surgery is done through an incision made along the side of the hip. The upper end of the thigh bone which is round in shape is cut and replaced with the implant's components. It may be stabilized with or without cement. The surface of the hip joint which has to receive the ball component (often damaged because of arthritis) is made even and smooth by the surgeon, so that the new metal socket can be cemented properly. The new ball and socket of the joint are then joined.
The most common cause for total hip replacement is usually arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis is wearing of joints due to age occurring at or over the age of 50 years. The cartilage lining the hip bone is worn out, leading to exposed bones that rub against each other causing pain and mobility problems.
- Inflammatory arthritis like rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis are autoimmune diseases where the synovial membrane gets inflamed and thickened causing pain and stiffness
- Post-traumatic arthritis caused due to injury or fracture of the hip ultimately resulting in cartilage damage.
- Childhood diseases of the hip cause serious hip problems and disfigurement of the hip in adulthood.
- Avascular necrosis is caused by dislocation or fracture or any such injury that causes obstruction of the blood supply to the femoral head.
- Bone tumours
Nonsurgical treatment alternatives are:
- Pain medications
- Glucocorticoid injections into the joint, anti-rheumatics and other medications that are beneficial
Surgical treatment alternatives include:
- Hip resurfacing Advanced arthritis is treated conventionally with hip resurfacing surgery. Unlike the traditional hip replacement, head of the femur is trimmed and capped with the metal covering. Also the damaged bone and cartilage is removed from the acetabulum and is replaced with the metal socket.
- Hip Fusion Hip fusion procedure eliminates all motions at the hip joint by fusing femur and pelvis together held in position by metal screws and plates.
- Hip Osteotomy This procedure realigns the hip joint bones and relieves early arthritis symptoms.
- Resection Arthroplasty The head of the femur bone is removed and in contrast with the other hip replacement surgery, the bone is not replaced but instead it is allowed to heal and develop its own fibrous scar tissue.
If you are suffering from severe pain, decreased range of motion or deformity at the hip joint and other medical and conservative treatments like physiotherapy have failed, you need a replacement of the hip joint. If you have had hip injury, bone tumour or bone loss due to avascular necrosis (insufficient blood supply) or are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, your surgeon may advise you replacement of the hip joint
The procedure is done under general anaesthesia. An incision is made on the lateral side of the hip. The upper round part of the thigh bone (head of the femur) is removed and replaced with implant. It is then stabilized into place by cementing or other methods. The part of the hip joint receiving the ball component called as socket or acetabulum is smoothened and prepared, and the implant is then placed to position and stabilized. The ball and socket components are then joined.
The surgery lasts for 2 to 4 hours depending on the severity of the disease.
Hip replacement surgery has a success rate of more than 90%. The patient is relieved of the pain and feels the increase in the range of motion. WIth time, the patient may be able to swim, play golf, walk or ride a bike comfortably.
You will stay at the hospital for about a week following hip replacement in India. You would feel pain and discomfort for 3-4 days which would be controlled with medications. You will be asked to breathe deeply and cough frequently to avoid lung congestion and prevent clot formation.
You would be advised to walk the same or the next day after the surgery with the help of a walker. Rehabilitation by physiotherapy will also begin immediately to strengthen your hip joint muscles and to restore movement for walking and other normal daily activities.
Time and Cost
You would need to stay at the hospital for 5-6 days and another week in India for one hip replaced. If you need both hips replaced (bilateral hip replacement in India), a stay of three to four weeks is required. The surgeon may choose to operate both the joints at the same time or one after the other at a gap of a week depending upon your medical condition.
Cost of Hip replacement surgery in India
At IndiCure, we recognize the significance of excellent health and well-being of our guests and hence our objective is to provide best hip replacement in India at affordable prices. A preferred association with best hip replacement surgeons in India and best hospital for hip replacement surgery in India helps us advise
- Hip replacement with Best hip replacement surgeons in India
- Most affordable hip replacement cost in India
The cost of hip replacement surgery in India varies according to the type of implant, surgeon, facility and city where you choose to get the surgery done.
The cost of hip replacement in India starts from around USD 6,000 and varies depending on the implant you choose, surgeon, facility and the city where you choose to get the surgery done .
An individually allocated case manager takes personalized interest to design a tailor made treatment plan for every guest and will provide with a specific time and hip replacement cost in India.
Your details and diagnostic reports may be sent to email@example.com for an early response from the case managers.
We encourage you to educate yourself about hip replacement surgery in India, benefits from the right kind of procedure,best hip replacement surgeons in India and then make an informed decision.
IndiCure thus invites you for a free consultation with chosen best hospital for hip replacement surgery in India and best hip replacement surgeons in India and assures you hassle free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay in India.
You can be rest assured that with IndiCure’s expertise, we bring in a wonderful experience of medical tourism in India, which we have been doing so for almost a decade now.