Knee Replacement in India
The western world has grown very expensive for procedure like knee replacement surgery. Fortunately, medical tourism in India is a great option for quality orthopaedic surgery for such people. Knee replacement in India is the most affordable way to get functional knees without compromising on the quality of your treatment or the results.
Knee replacement in India with IndiCure is done at few of the best orthopedic hospitals in India using most advanced technology for precise placement of the implants. Our surgeons use FDA approved American implants which last for life.
Knee replacement, also known as Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA) , is a surgical procedure where the damaged cartilage and the bone from the surface of the knee joint is replaced with artificial components. This procedure is performed on people of all ages, with the exception of children, whose bones are still growing. Normally the knee functions like a hinge between the femur - the thigh bone and the tibia and fibula - the lower leg bones. The articulating surfaces of these bones wear out over time because of arthritis or other such conditions that cause pain and swelling. Thus, the vital goal of knee replacement is to relieve pain, improve quality of life, and maintain or improve knee function.
Knee replacement is considered to be the best treatment to relieve pain and to restore functions of the knee when all other conventional treatments (weight loss, medicines, and injections) have failed to relieve the patient of disabling knee pain.
Causes of Knee Pain
The most common cause for knee pain and limitation in mobility is arthritis. There are 3 kinds of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis is the commonest and age-related disease causing wear and tear of knee joint. It usually occurs over 50 years of age, where the cartilage cushioning the joint bones can wear away and bones soften causing easier and faster attrition of bone with symptoms like pain, stiffness and swelling.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune inflammatory arthritis where the synovial membrane surrounding the joints gets inflamed and thick. This in turn damages the cartilage and the underlying bone causing pain, stiffness, swelling and deformity.
- Post-traumatic arthritis is caused due to serious knee injury. Fractures and ligament tears can damage the articular cartilage causing knee pain and limited motion.
Treatment alternatives to Knee Replacement include:
- Nonsurgical treatment for osteoarthritis/arthritis includes:
- Physical therapy
- Analgesics and anti-inflammatory medications and suitable drugs in cases of infections of the joints
- Knee bracing or shoe inserts which help in knee alignment and balancing of weight on the knee joints.
- Visco-supplementation injections for lubricating the joint to make the joint movement less painful.
- Surgical alternatives include:
- Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure where small incisions can be done to repair the damage with arthroscopy.
- Osteotomy is a surgical procedure where the involvedleg bone is cut, realigned, and allowed to heal. It is useful for patients older than 60 with inflammatory arthritis.
- Partial knee replacement involves replacing only the part of the knee joint that is damaged or arthritic.
Candidates for Knee Replacement
If you have disabling knee pain and stiffness, knee deformity, are otherwise healthy, and if all other conventional treatments have not helped, you are a good candidate for Knee Replacement.Procedure
There are 3 techniques used for the surgery
- Traditional Knee Replacement
This procedure is done under general anaesthesia. An 8-12 inch vertical incision is made in the front of the knee. The surgeon then prepares the bone to remove the damaged bone and cartilage surfaces at the end of tibia and femur.The cartilage and bone that are removed are replaced with an artificial metal components made of alloys or high grade polymers. The metal components are cemented to the underlying bone for proper fit. The lower surface of the kneecap (patella) is removed and resurfaced. A spacer is inserted between the metal components for smooth gliding between the surfaces. The surgery takes about 2-3 hours. Rehabilitation is advised after the surgery as guided by the surgeon.
- Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement
Unlike traditional knee replacement surgery, the minimally invasive knee replacement is less invasive performed using smaller incision of 4-6 inch. The artificial implants used are same as used in traditional replacement. However, the bones are prepared using specially designed surgical equipment for proper placement of the implants. This technique is less invasive with less damage and disruption of the adjacent structures that results in reduced postoperative pain, smaller scars and early recovery.
- Computer Navigated Knee Replacement
Computer navigation Knee Replacement using NAV3 technology is the most advanced and revolutionary surgical procedure that is being performed in India with great success. This technique improves the accuracy of the prosthetic implantation with further minimizing the need for surgical exposure resulting in less scarring,faster recovery and thus improving the short and long term performance of the knee joint.
The results of knee replacement are very gratifying. One can enjoy an active lifestyle after the surgery free of pain. You would not be advised to do certain high impact activities like jogging and jumping for a few weeks by the surgeon.
You may experience some pain and discomfort after the surgery which shall be controlled with medications. You will be advised to start walking with the help of walkers the next day following the surgery and physiotherapy shall be started to strengthen the muscles. One can resume routine activities in 3-4 weeks after the surgery and an active lifestyle in about 6 weeks. You would be advised to refrain from doing certain high impact activities like jogging and jumping etc. for few weeks.
Time and Cost
You would stay at the hospital for 4-5 days after knee replacement in India and another ten to twelve days in town after you are discharged from the hospital. With advanced technology and improved techniques of the surgery, many surgeons prefer to operate both knees at the same time. A total stay of two weeks for single knee replacement and three weeks for both knee replacement in India is required for you to fully recover and fly back.
Knee Replacement Cost in India
At IndiCure, we recognize the significance of excellent health and well-being of our guests and hence our objective is to provide best knee replacement in India at honest affordable prices. A preferred association with best orthopaedic hospitals in India and top orthopaedic surgeons helps us advise
- Knee Replacement in India with best orthopedic surgeons in India
- Most affordable Knee Replacement Cost in India
Knee replacement cost in India starts from USD 4500 and varies with the type of procedure, quality of implant, surgeon, facility and the city where you choose to get the surgery done.
An individually allocated case manager takes personalized interest to design a tailor made treatment plan for every guest and will provide with a specific time and knee replacement cost in India.
Medical history and diagnostic reports may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for an early response from the case managers.
We encourage you to educate yourself about knee replacement surgery, benefits from the right kind of procedure, knee replacement cost in India and then make an informed decision.
IndiCure thus invites you for a free consultation with chosen best orthopaedic hospitals in India and top orthopaedic surgeons and assures you hassle free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay in India.
You can be rest assured that with IndiCure's expertise, we bring in a wonderful experience of medical tourism in India, which we have been doing so for more than a decade now!