Bariatric Surgery Cost in India
Bariatric surgery cost in India is a fraction of what it costs to get the surgery done in the US, UK or any other Western country. For example, the cost of Sleeve Gastrectomy in India starts from $ 4900 with IndiCure, whereas the cost of same surgery is around $25,000 in US, £18,000 in UK and $25,000 in Australia.
Bariatric surgery cost in India varies with the type of bariatric surgery chosen, surgeon, hospital and the city where you choose to get the surgery done. Here is a quick look at comparison of Bariatric surgery cost in India vs few other countries:
|Procedure||USA ($)||Australia ($)||UK(£)||India ($)||Bariatric surgery cost in Indian Rupees (INR)|
|Laparoscopic Gastric Banding||25,000||30,000||12,000||7,000||4,20,000|
|Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass||30,000||35,000||20,000||6,000||3,60,000|
|Mini Gastric Bypass||30,000||30,000||20,000||6,000||3,60,000|
|Intra Gastric Ballooning||15,000||20,000||8,000||4,000||2,80,000|
*The cost given is an approximate price to help you plan your trip. Final cost for the surgery can be given after the surgeon has evaluated the patient. Price in Indian rupees varies with the exchange rate of rupees vs dollars.
Bariatric Surgery in India
Choosing to travel for bariatric surgery in India arouses mixed reactions from people from different parts of the world. While many people are aware of, and are confident about getting bariatric surgery in India, there are others from Western countries who have many apprehensions and questions in their mind, viz; Is it safe to have bariatric surgery in India? Where should we begin? Who are the best bariatric surgeons in India? Which is the best hospital for bariatric surgery in India? And many more similar questions.
We at IndiCure understand all the apprehensions and questions that you have when you opt for medical tourism in India- surgery away from your home and are there to help you make an informed decision. We always strive to get you the best deal when you opt for bariatric surgery in India. We completely understand that Bariatric surgery is a life changing decision and when you choose to get it miles away from your home, the decision can be overwhelming. IndiCure assures you to be a partner in your journey and make this journey for bariatric surgery in India a successful and memorable one for you!
Why Bariatric surgery in India?
The answer is simple- You should choose to undergo bariatric surgery in India because of the many advantages that the country offers.
Getting bariatric surgery in India with carefully chosen bariatric surgeons and clinics offers many advantages for bariatric surgery seekers abroad, few of which are listed below -
- Savings - Bariatric surgery cost in India is much lesser, about 60% to 90% cheaper, as compared to the cost of bariatric surgery in the UK, US, Canada, Australia or any other Western country. Bariatric surgery cost in India is as less as a third of what it costs to get the surgery done in any of these countries.
- Best bariatric Surgeons in world - Bariatric surgeons in India are known for their skill and expertise all over the world. Not only are they trained at best medical schools in the world, the experience Indian bariatric surgeons have is second to none
- Best bariatric surgery hospitals in India - The bariatric surgery hospitals and clinics that IndiCure chooses to associate with have the state of the art technology and zero MRSA rate which is even better than what you would find in many European countries.
- No language barrier - English is the second official language of India. Surgeons, nurses and other support staff at the hospital speak English, so communication is never a problem though not being used to a different accent may pose some difficulty at some times.
- Incredible India - India is one of the most mystical countries on the earth, and is also come to be known as God's own country. It is a must see destination by all known travel magazines and portals. People with completely different languages, cultures, religions all cordially living together as one country, is a unique experience to see.
Who are the Best Bariatric Surgeons in India?
India is a huge country and you would find many qualified and experienced bariatric surgeons in different parts of the country. We at IndiCure understand that you wish to get operated by a very experienced and qualified surgeon with NO risks taken.
Our experts have therefore laid down critreria and we only suggest those surgeons who fulfill these criteria. We thus do the homework for you and help you make an informed decision.
Some of the important factors we look into, when we suggest a bariatric surgeon to you include:
- Should have done his super-specilization to perform Bariatric surgery
- Should have at least 10 years or more years of experience
- Should be a Board certified surgeon
- Should be a member of International Association of Bariatric Surgery
- Should not have a case of malpractice against him
- Should be Fluent in English
- Should have good Bed side manners
Which are the best hospitals for Bariatric surgery in India?
Bariatric Surgery is a specialised surgery which needs a specialised surgical room, specialised equipment and qualified nurses and technicians. IndiCure has association with few of the best bariatric surgery hospitals in India such as Apollo Hospitals, Wockhardt, Fortis, Artemis, Columbia Asia, Parkway Group to name a few to offer you nothing but the best experience. These hospitals not only have state of the art technology but offer great services. They have dedicated people to take care of patients coming from overseas to provide them best of medical care and services.
Is it Safe to have Bariatric Surgery in India?
Yes, absolutely. If you get your surgery done by a well qualified and experienced surgeon, in a good surgical room, at a hospital which offers proper post-operative care; the risk of undergoing bariatric surgery anywhere in the world is just the same. So, whether you are in US, UK, Australia or Canada the risks remain the same keeping other factors constant.
The hospitals in India that we associate with, are accredited, the surgeons board certified and more experienced than their Western counterparts, and we give utmost attention to the fact that you have travelled from a faraway country and have special requirements.
We advise that you stay in India for a minimum of a week after you are discharged from the hospital to make sure you have healed adequately before you go back. All these factors make surgery in India a very safe proposition. We have in fact seen that with proper patient selection and proper precautions, the success rate is much higher than in patients' home countries.
Which cities in India can I get my Bariatric surgery with IndiCure?
We can offer you weight loss surgery in India at all metros- Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune. You can specify your prefence and we shall arrange things accordingly.
Bariatric surgery in India- Is only low cost attracting medical tourists?
The answer to the above question is definitely a big NO. Who would like to pay and get a botched surgery or risk his/ her life? Medical tourists come to India because they get quality healthcare services at affordable cost.
While bariatric surgery cost in India definitely makes it one of the most popular destinations in the world, low cost is not the only reason why more and more people are opting India as their preferred medical tourism destination.
Safe and effective bariatric surgery, modern technology and great services, excellent infrastructure, state of the art hospitals, personalized attention, world renowned bariatric surgeons, no language barrier and ease of travel are some of the factors which have attracted people from all across the globe for their bariatric surgery in India.
IndiCure is proud to associate with some of the best bariatric surgeons in India who have many years of experience in carrying out successful weight loss surgery. With IndiCure, you can be assured of personalized care and attention.
Why should you choose IndiCure to plan your trip?
At IndiCure we recognize the significance of excellent health and the well-being of our guests and hence our objective is to provide the best option for your weight loss surgery in India at most affordable prices.
An individually allocated case manager takes personalized interest to design a tailor made treatment plan for every guest and will tell you of the duration and cost for the chosen procedure.
IndiCure is the most renowned name for medical tourism in India offering weight loss surgery with best bariatric surgeons in India. After having served hundreds of happy patients from over 30 countries, we understand your expectations well. When you choose IndiCure, you are sure about:
- Best Surgeons: You would be operated only by board certified surgeons who have 100% success rate and no case of malpractice against them. We do the homework for you to find the best bariatric surgeon in India for you, the most important factor for a successful surgery.
- Negotiated Rates: We have highly negotiated rates to offer you the best deal for your medical tourism in India.
- Complete Handholding: We would be like your friend and guide and would always handhold you anytime you need. We understand that India can be a new country for you and you want someone reliable and professional to help you.
- Ancillary Services: We shall help you with medical visa arrangements, accommodation you and your family after you are discharged from the hospital, appointment with surgeon, transport service to and from the airport, inland transfers and anything you need when you are in India.
How to start your journey for Bariatric surgery in India?
This is how you can begin your journey to a new and improved you or simply put, weight loss surgery in India:
- Contact us through mail or call us at the numbers provided above. One of our representatives will get in touch with you.
- You would be asked for few details to assess your candidacy for bariatric surgery. You can also fill in the form available at http://www.bariatricsurgerytourism.com/obesity-form.php
- We shall get back to you with our expert bariatric surgeon's opinion, exact cost and complete details about your surgery.
- You can ask any number of questions and we shall get answers to all your queries through our expert bariatric surgeons in India.
- You can then finalize your dates and we help you with visa, bookings and further steps.
Obesity and Weight Loss Surgery
Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat collects in the body to an extent that it affects the health adversely, resulting in a variety of health problems. Obesity is a complex and chronic disease with many causes, and not simply a result of overeating. Research has shown that genetics often plays a crucial role, particularly if one is morbidly obese.
There are several criteria to determine morbid obesity. One criterion is being 50 to 100 percent more than the ideal body weight or being 100 pounds more than the ideal body weight. Another important criterion is the measure of one's Body Mass Index (BMI).
Surgery for weight loss is often the way to weight loss when the other methods have failed and the person is left with no other option. There are various techniques of weight loss surgery, though all of them work in three basic ways:
Restriction surgery decrease the stomach size thus reducing the food intake due to an earlier feeling of satiety. For example: Adjustable gastric band / lap band, Gastric sleeve
Mal-absorptive procedures reposition and/or remove portions of the alimentary canal thus containing the number of calories that can be absorbed in the body. Sole mal-absorptive procedures are no longer done commonly.
As the name suggests it is a combination of both restrictive and mal-absorptive procedures. Example: Gastric bypass, Mini-gastric bypass, duodenal switch
- Weight Loss : Weight loss is immediate with greater retention.
- Co-morbid conditions are controlled : Many life-threatening diseases like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, cancer etc are positively controlled by up to 96% with weight loss surgery.
- Safety : Weight loss surgeries carry much lesser risk with negligible complications as compared to other surgeries.
- Minimally Invasive : All weight loss surgeries are done laparoscopically hence no scarring and recovery is quick.
- Increased Life Expectancy : Studies show that morbidity and mortality rates decrease with weight loss surgery and the overall health of the person is greatly improved.
- Better Quality of Life : Weight loss surgery improves the quality of life by improving the self-confidence and agility of the patients after surgery.
Bariatric surgery works well on individuals who fall in the category of "obese" or "morbidly obese", which means you have a BMI of 40 plus.
People with BMI of more than 35 are also candidates for the surgery if they have co-morbidities associated with obesity like diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, joint pain etc
The doctors would asses you before you are taken for the procedure. Few important factors that make you a good candidate for Bariatric surgery include the following:
- Age: You should be between 18 and 60 years to undergo the procedure.
- Weight: If your weight is 80% or more than your ideal body weight or you should have a BMI of 35 with co-morbidities or 40 plus, you are a candidate.
- Medical conditions: The obesity should not be because of medical conditions and you should not be suffering from or have been treated for serious medical conditions such as cancer, epilepsy etc.
- Lifestyle Changes: You should be committed to making life long changes to your lifestyle and eating habits.
- Addictions: You should not be addicted to alcohol or other recreational drugs.
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
It is a restrictive and mal-absorptive procedure where a small pouch is made by cutting and stapling the stomach. The pouch is connected to the lower part of small intestine so food bypasses rest of the stomach and top of small intestine. The upper part of small intestine is connected to the lower part so bile and other gastric juices digest food completely. Smaller stomach pouch restricts the amount of food eaten. The feeling of fullness is fast and sustained. Limited calories are absorbed due to small intestine bypass. As a result fat reserves are used to expend energy.
Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve
It is a restrictive procedure. The surgery is done by creating a small sleeve of the stomach (of the size of banana) by stapling it. Rest of stomach is resected. Smaller stomach pouch curbs the amount of food intake hence giving satiety for a faster and longer time. So, the fat stored is depleted.
Laparoscopic Mini Gastric Bypass
This is a restrictive and mal-absorptive procedure. Tube-shaped pouch is separated from stomach at the end of the oesophagus and is attached to small intestine at six feet. Unlike this, in classic bypass small intestine is cut and there are two connections instead of one. Pouch in this case is bigger than classic bypass. It acts in the same way as classic bypass except that the intestinal bypassed is more in this than in gastric bypass which could result in increased vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
Intra Gastric Balloon
The Intra Gastric Balloon (IGB) also known as gastric balloon is a simple, non-invasive procedure to treat obesity. In this procedure a small deflated silicone balloon is placed inside the stomach. The balloon is then filled with sterile saline. This thus, help to reduce hunger and food intake, and aids is overall weight loss.
Laparoscopic Gastric Band
Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band, popularly known as "lap band" or "Gastric band" is a popular bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery procedure. In this procedure an inflatable silicone device or band is places around the top portion of the stomach. This helps reduce the stomach’s capacity, which is turn reduces food consumption and facilitates weight loss.
As with any major surgery, bariatric surgery also poses potential health risks, both in the short term and long term. Short term risks include infection, blood clots and internal bleeding. The chances of such complications are 1 in 100, but if the candidate is chosen carefully and all precautions are taken, the chances of complications are almost nil.
The long term risks include food intolerance, Bowel obstruction, diarrhea because of Dumping syndrome, nausea or vomiting, Low blood sugar, Malnutrition and ulcers.
But the fact that benefits of weight loss surgery far outweigh the risks associated with it; surgeons all over the world advocate bariatric surgery for morbidly obese people.
Preparation 1-2 weeks before the Surgery
You would need to follow a liquid diet plan for 7-14 days before the surgery.
This is done to reduce the amount of fat around the liver and spleen and thus for the surgeon to visualize your organs properly. A large liver prevents the surgeon to visualize certain anatomy during the procedure thus making it unsafe.
- The 1-2 week diet to be followed before the surgery would include protein shakes which would make the most part of your meal. You can have beverages but those should be sugar free and non caffeinated and carbonated. Soup broth and vegetable juices and one or two servings of lean meat or vegetables are daily allowed.
- It is good to start separating liquid and solid diet from now on to make it a habit which NEEDS to be followed after the surgery.
- The liquids should be sipped very slowly and not taken with the meals. They should wait for at least half and hour after the meal.
- Talk to your surgeon about stopping or tapering the dose of your medicines. These may include Steroids, replacement hormones, birth control pills, anti-coagulation medicines. You should inform the surgeon/ case manager about the medicines that you are taking for his advice.
- Smoking should be stopped at least 1-2 weeks before the surgery. Smoking increases the risk of blood clots and complications.
Preparation after your Arrival in India
- You would undergo pre-op investigations like blood tests, physical examination, ultrasound of your gallbladder, endoscopy and other tests to make sure you are you are fit for anesthesia and the procedure
- Nutritional counseling would be done to give you detailed diet plan
- Assessment by a member of the bariatric team, anesthetic team, cardiology, pulmonology and endocrinology shall be done
- The surgery shall be done laparoscopically under general anesthesia and you would remain empty stomach for 12 hours before the procedure.
Since it is a laparoscopic surgery, recovery is fairly quick. You would stay at the hospital for 2-3 days to make sure you are recovering well.
You would be asked to sit on the side of the bed and walk a little the same day of surgery. You will take pills for pain or receive pain medicine through an IV, a catheter that goes directly into your veins for pain relief. Once good hydration is maintained and pain is managed, you would be discharged.
You would be advised to stay in India for another 6-7 days after you are discharged from the hospital to make sure your transition to new eating habits and recovery is smooth.
The dietician or nutritionist at the hospital will give you a detailed diet plan for several weeks after the surgery.
To give you an idea this is how your diet plan would be after the bariatric surgery:
- You would only be on liquid diet for the first couple of days while you are at the hospital. This would include broth, water and juice. This would continue for about a week after which you would start on soft diet like smoothies and pureed meals.
- A high-protein diet and multivitamin supplements are indicated for reducing muscle wasting.
- From 2nd through 6th week, your liquid meals would get thicker. Having 4 to 5 three ounce meals a day are normal and would make you feel full. Foods appropriate for this stage include cream soups and yogurt-based smoothies.
- Solid foods would be introduced to your diet during 6th week or so. At that point, your bariatric diet will consist of 3 four-ounce "normal" meals per day.
- Start slowly and figure out which foods your system can tolerate well. Raw vegetables and fibrous foods may be too much for you to handle first. So, you would need to cook and chew food thorougly before swallowing.
We encourage you to educate yourself about weight loss surgery, and also the benefits from the right kind of bariatric surgery before making your choice.
IndiCure thus invites you for a free consultation with chosen best bariatric surgeons in India and top hospitals, and assures you a hassle free arrangement for examinations, surgery, recovery, travel and stay.
An individually allocated case manager takes personalized interest to design a tailor made treatment plan for every guest and will provide with a specific time and bariatric surgery cost in India.
You can be assured that with IndiCure's expertise, we will bring in a wonderful experience of medical tourism, which we have been doing for almost a decade now.
Medical history and reports may be sent to email@example.com for a quick response from the case managers.